People protest overMakanjira Road project
A group of concerned citizens under the banners Mangochi-Makanjira Road Concerned Citizens and Mangochi Concerned Citizens has issued a 12-day ultimatum to government to respond to concerns about the delayed construction of the Mangochi–Makanjira Road.
The group delivered a petition to Ministry of Transport and Public Works through Mangochi District Council yesterday, demanding a clear and immediate update on the stalled project.
Speaking after presenting the petition, the group’s representative Patrick Wasi expressed deep frustration with the government’s failure to begin the long-awaited road project.

He said: “We, the people of Makanjira, are deeply concerned with the government’s inaction. We are aware that funds from development partners—including the Saudi Fund for Development, Opec Fund, Kuwait Fund and the World Bank, were secured for this road. Yet, there is nothing on the ground to show that construction is about to begin.”
Wasi accused the government of continuously misleading the community with false promises.
“We feel insulted. How can they keep saying construction will start when, in reality, there is no progress whatsoever? We are tired of waiting. That is why we are demanding answers now,” he said.
When asked what action they will take if government fails to respond within the stipulated time, Wasi declined to disclose details.
Mangochi district commissioner Davie Chigwenembe, who received the petition on behalf of the government, commended the group for conducting a peaceful demonstration.
“Our responsibility was to receive the petition and we will deliver it to the appropriate authorities,” he said.
In November 2023, President Lazarus Chakwera, accompanied by Mangochi North legislator Benedicto Chambo and Traditional Authority (T/A) Makanjira, travelled to Saudi Arabia to witness the signing of funding agreements for the road project.
However, since then, progress has stalled.
In April this year, T/A Makanjira expressed disappointment over the delays.
On May 2, Minister of Transport and Public Works Jacob Hara pledged that construction would start within two weeks.



